Victoria, Melbourne, Fitzroy Street Methodist Church Sunday School, 15ct Gold Fob (4.73g, 24x28mm) by Wittenbach, undated. Obverse: Star over laurel wreath, tressure of arches around, “METHODIST ·S·S·” within, “FITSROY ST” engraved. Reverse: blank, “WITTENBACH8CO 15C”. Very Fine
This fob almost certainly relates to the former Wesleyan Methodist church located at 167 Fitzroy Street, St Kilda. The church was opened 19th September 1858, the congregation opted to join the Uniting Church in the late 1960’s, and the final service was conducted on the 25th of June 1978. The building was beset with structural problems over many years of it’s existence, and was finally converted to residential flats and then later to commercial shops and offices.